How to lower blood pressure: 4 quick ways that will surely work
High pressure kills. And this is not a metaphor. Only in the USA this cardiovascular problem is annually blows away the lives of more than half a million people.
What is high blood pressure and why is it dangerous?
High blood pressure is called the silent killer, and for good reason. Hypertension (hypertension) often has no pronounced symptoms, but dramatically increases the risk of developing dangerous cardiovascular disorders and stroke.
Blood pressure is measured in the format of two numbers.
- The first – systolic pressure – indicates how much (in millimeters of mercury) blood presses on the walls of blood vessels during release into the aorta due to contraction of the heart muscle. The latter is called systole.
- The second – diastolic – fixes the blood pressure at the moment when the heart is resting between beats. Relaxation of the heart muscle is called diastole.
In general, vessels are elastic. But if the blood pressure gets too high, they may not be able to keep up. Rupture of a vessel in any of the important organs leads to serious consequences – even death.
What pressure is considered too high? In 2017 American Heart Association recommended consider high pressure from 130/80 mm Hg. Art. In Russia and Europe, the bar is higher – 140/90.
If you fix your pressure at this level or higher, you are at risk. Urgent action needs to be taken.
How to quickly lower blood pressure at home
Let’s say right away: with complaints of hypertension, you must definitely go to a therapist. Depending on your blood pressure level, your lifestyle, and other factors, your doctor will tailor a personalized prevention and treatment plan for you, and most likely prescribe medications to help bring your blood pressure down to normal levels.
But if for some reason you have not yet reached the therapist, here are a few ways that will help lower the pressure. Choose the one that feels more comfortable to you, or combine several for maximum effect.
1. Take a few deep breaths
How show studies, proper deep breathing is one of the most effective ways to quickly reduce pressure in the vessels. This is because blood flow to all tissues in your body, including your limbs, is increased.
- Relax, close your eyes. This will help reduce the level of stress – one of the main provocateurs of hypertension.
- Take a deep breath, counting to 5. Inhale not with your chest, but with your stomach. To control, put your hand on it: you should feel how it rises.
- Then exhale again for 5 counts.
- Repeat for 3-5 minutes.
You can try holding your breath after exhaling for 8-10 seconds – choose the exercise option that seems more comfortable to you.
2. Take a hot bath
Pour water at a temperature of about 45 ° C into a basin and immerse your hands or feet in it for 10 minutes. Hot water will cause the vessels in the limbs to expand, blood will flow to them, and the high pressure will decrease somewhat.
3. Drink warm mint tea
If you are not allergic, steep a pinch of mint leaves in boiling water for 10 minutes, let cool and drink the tea in slow sips. Peppermint like this maybe reduce blood pressure.
But remember: mint enhances the effect of drugs for high blood pressure. So be careful.
4. Take valerian tablets
Valerian is a powerful sedative that helps the body deal with stress. Thanks to her, the heart will begin to beat calmer, blood pressure will decrease. Important: when taking, do not exceed the dose indicated in the instructions!
How to permanently lower blood pressure without medication
Let us remind you once again: the above ways to reduce pressure at home are emergency measures. It is necessary to fight the “silent killer” only with the help of a doctor, scrupulously following his recommendations.
But there is also good news. The level of pressure is greatly influenced by lifestyle. It is enough to change it in a healthy way, and hypertension will either recede altogether, or your need for drugs will decrease significantly.
Experts from the reputable research organization Mayo Clinic compiled list Of the 10 essential life changes:
- Get rid of excess weight. Each kilogram lost will reduce your blood pressure by about 1 point.
- Exercise regularly. Your choice is aerobic exercise: long walks, jogging, cycling, swimming, dancing. Dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to these activities. In this case, you will be able to reduce the pressure by another 5-8 points.
- Eat healthy food. More fruits, vegetables, cereals (cereals), less fats, convenience foods, pastries. Revising your diet will help you “subtract” your blood pressure by up to 11 points.
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet. At least for a little bit. This will help lower your blood pressure by 5-6 points. Remember: WHO and other authorities recommend consume no more than 5 g of salt per day, which is less than a teaspoon!
- Do not drink or at least limit the amount of alcohol. Including beer. The latter leads to fluid retention and increased pressure. Besides,…